The NZ Property Market turns again — LIVE Recording of this Update for investors
Westpac Chief Economist Dominick Stephens and specialist property accountant Mark Withers share insights, information, advice — and their outlook for the NZ economy and property market.
What are the risks and opportunities ahead?
A no-nonsense briefing session for investors with Westpac chief economist Dominick Stephens and expert property accountant & investing strategist Mark Withers.
DOMINICK STEPHENS Westpac Chief Economist. Through years of research, Dominick has identified and focuses on the real drivers of the housing market (taxation, interest rates, inflation etc). He showed that property investors who kept investing in rental houses during the last big boom, ignoring the warnings, were right. Having worked in forecasting and interest rate decisions at the Reserve Bank of NZ, Dominick understands the jargon and the mindset, but he is a plain-talking, entertaining, and easy-to-understand speaker.
MARK WITHERS specialist property accountant, partner in Withers Tsang & Co. and author of Property Tax – A New Zealand Investor’s Guide and audio programmes: The 7 Key Traits of Successful Property Investors. NZ’s had wholesale changes to its tax rules, and Mark’s expertise at the coal-face is invaluable. So is his willingness to explain the practical impact of recent developments, and some predicted — on investors and owners who want to improve property.
- What’s driving New Zealand’s housing market at present?
- Is it a tale of two markets? (i.e Akl & Chch vs the rest?)
- What effect will LVR restrictions have on the market?
- Are they here to stay? Is the Reserve Bank thinking twice? Or considering exemptions?
- The OCR is picked to start rising early next year — how far will it go? And what will determine that?
- How will a rise in interest rates affect house prices?
- Inflation is rising — and predictions of more around the corner. How will that embolden the Reserve Bank?
- Mortgage interest rates: Is ‘Fix now!’ still good advice?
- How does the mix of fixed or floating mortgages effect the market’s sensitivity to OCR moves?
- Is a predicted ‘slowdown’ still on the cards? (Westpac forecast real house price declines ‘later this decade’.)
- Where is the high NZ dollar headed?
- Foreign buyers — any real effect on the NZ market?
- Westpac picks slower economic growth 2015-2020.
- Canterbury rebuild and period of intense house price growth — these are temporary factors. What’s next?
- What tax options do landlords with newly ‘profitable’ rental properties have?
- What are the implications and factors to consider when selling a rental property (say, with lots of accumulated depreciation)? How should an investor time these decisions?
- Tips and traps in the new tax environment: What’s catching investors out right now?
- Dealing with repairs vs. improvements.
- We’re used to seeing changing tax policy driving investment decisions… What’s on the table or being discussed with IRD/Treasury now?
- What’s the effect of the new mixed-use rules on rental baches (Is casual renting/tax deductibility a thing of the past now?)
- Life without depreciation allowances
- Up-to-date advice for financing rental property now?
- How are the Look Through Company arrangements working out compared to LAQCs they replaced?
This audio programme consists of LIVE recordings of the two speakers’ presentations at the the OUTLOOK event (held in Auckland at the end of last year) and a copy of the Course Notes booklet given to participants of the event.
Order now for immediate delivery once your payment is processed. You will receive download links by email.